Wednesday, December 3, 2008

3 Ring Circus

My classroom is the equivalent of Barnum & Bailey without superhuman feats and animal dung. Instead, it's human dung. J came up to me yesterday and said, "Miss Rose, I pooped my pants." Such honesty.

Today, my classroom was a 3 ring circus because I had an autistic child and his one-on-one teacher, a mentally retarded boy along with his one-on-one assistant, and a high school student observing me. There were so many eyes on me (all but the two special ed boys) to see what I'd say or how I'd handle the screaming, roaming, and complete ignorance. I think it went pretty well because everyone was on task for at least 2 minutes.

My vice principal came to observe our 3 ring circus for a short time yesterday. Later, she commended my classroom -the students and my teaching and management. The mentally retarded boy has been removed from his classroom and teacher that ignore him, and placed with me. The VP commented that the mentally retarded student should remain in my classroom because, "...I've never seen him so engaged!"

Tricky how they compliment you just so you can do the harder, more time-consuming work, huh?

I laughed several times today and had a smile on my face through most of it. They are special...but in a very good way to me. They are all cute kids and it's difficult to describe to you the gong show that I call kindergarten. Not only is there pooping in pants and a broken arm and pink eye and lice (not lying about any of those), we have autism and mental retardation...and a teacher with enough problems to blend it all together into one, big, happy family!

No comments: