Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Smooth Operator

After precious amounts of time and my retinal health were sucked from me yesterday in the Great Sunglasses Search of '08, I came home and ate a healthy snack. Nothing says abs of steel like a big bowl o' queso. And I only used he best ingredients: Velveeta, Pace, and Tostitos. All name brands, you notice? I figure the name brand foods can make up for the fact that I spent ONE DOLLAR on sunglasses. And those puppies served me well today. Good purchase.

I ate my snack at like 5:30, and then got hungry for actual sustenance around 7:30. A friend was coming over to watch The Bachelorette (who I have a super-girl-crush on...DeAnna, not my friend) so I needed to make a quick meal. I needed an efficient meal to curb my queso fiasco from a few hours earlier. I needed protein, greens, calcium...healthy stuff. So I decided a smoothie was my best option.

Have I ever made a food smoothie before? No I have not. My smoothies are chocolate protein shakes that are made with milk. And if they didn't add so much bulk to my body, I'd drink them all the time and even use them to brush my teeth. Delicious.

I have a friend who makes a food smoothie every day and he's very healthy. And I've tried the smoothie before and it's acceptable. Not like I'd brush my teeth with it, but good nonetheless. So I decided to make one of my own. Except that I substituted a couple ingredients that I prefer, over his broccoli and tasteless protein powder. My smoothie consisted of: a small strawberry Light Done Right yogurt, frozen peach slices, honey, milk, the chocolate protein powder, almonds, and spinach. All excellent ingredients by themselves. And my queso-euphoria had me believing that these would be just as tasty in a blended form. After all, I had tasted my friend's smoothie and it had similar ingredients.

Well, my smoothie, though serving it's purpose for speed and nutrition, tasted like vomit. Looked like vomit, too. Smelled fine. And it wasn't the spinach that ruined it...that green stuff is GOOD. I went wrong with the almonds. They were salted and should have been saltless. Cruel.

I finished off my food smoothie and ate some ice cream with Heath pieces on top. Blue Bell makes a new flavor, folks! Centennial Cupcake. Cake batter ice cream, cake pieces, chocolate icing swirl, and green clover sprinkles. The sprinkles support the 100th anniversary of 4H in the state of Texas. I once knew a girl in 4H. She had a lamb named Fleece.

I bet that friend of mine, and Fleece -wherever she is, God rest her soul- would support me brushing my teeth and even bathing in Centennial Cupcake. I highly recommend.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I have 3 things to say:

1. I think I just vomited in my mouth when I read what you blended together.

2. It was FFA, not 4H :)

3. I completely support brushing teeth with ice cream! You know me too well.

Miss Rose said...

Dangit! There's a difference between 4H and FFA?!!!!!!!!!! I have so much to learn in life.