Sunday, January 20, 2008

Goal Tending

Everyone has "things to do." A lengthy, overwhelming at times, and seemingly neverending To Do List. And boy, does it feel good to check those things off - no matter how great or small. Errands, projects, duties, responsibilites, obligations, deposits into relationships. I'm sure these are all things on your list at one time or another. Or, if you're like me, they are on the list with consistency.

But I want to get deeper. Let's bypass the things that we have to do -because remember, we're trying to Be Still- and let's set some goals. Yes, they can be objectives...but more hopes, dreams, ideals for interactions and living this week.

We can sure complicate life. Raise your hand if you think this life is easy...not so fast Miss Rose. So I've got tons to do this week...and we're all connected because I'm not alone in that. We may have different things to do, and at different times we have varying magnitudes accompanying those things, but we are all busy.

Do you have a list? Well, I'm going to try to connect with the humanness in us all. Here is my list:

1. Smile and be extra kind to a parent in my classroom every time I see him this week. Even if it's pretending. Try not to pretend.
2. Tell someone exactly how much they have helped me during a very important time in my life. Don't write it down (though that is nice), but tell her to her face so she knows how sincere I am.
3. Exhibit independence and intelligence on Wednesday. But trumping these two should be grace and humility. Don't freak out, too.

Okay, I think three'll do it. That's pretty much all I can handle. But I'll try to do it all with a happy heart and with good manners.

Saying "yes ma'am" and "no sir" pretty much gives you a Free Pass.

No comments: